To My Readers Overseas,
As my books have begun to be introduced to readers overseas, I have increasingly received invitations from various communities and online platforms to introduce my books—or, to be more precise, to promote them.
I understand that this is a common practice in the Western world.
To those who have found my work, I would like to say: thank you.
I also sincerely respect the efforts of those who have built communities and platforms around books, and the contributions they have made to society through those activities.
At the same time, whenever I receive such invitations, I find myself asking this question, with the self-reflection that comes from being a Buddhist practitioner:
What is my work as an author?
For me, creating and sharing my work is not exactly about gaining people's attention or making myself known to as many people as possible.
Buddhism begins with a certain principle:
Step back from oneself. Do not place oneself at the center.
What remains after one steps back from oneself—this is what I would like to describe metaphorically as clear water.
Clear water is something that brings relief to those who are thirsty.
In this world, there are many people walking long journeys while carrying a deep thirst within themselves. My wish is simply that such travelers may drink this clear water.
With that wish, I dug a channel for clear water to flow.
I would be grateful if you could think of my books as that river.
The river—my books—does not exist because I wish to sell them aggressively or because I want as many people as possible to discover them.
Rather, my wish is that the water reaches those who truly need it, and that it can ease their thirst.
With that single purpose, I will keep watching over the flow so that it remains pure and clear.
I understand this to be my role.
The Buddha was the one who discovered the water.
The water has always been there.
In truth, it is right before our eyes.
Yet unless we reach out our own hands, we cannot touch it. Unless we lift it to our own lips, we cannot drink it.
That water is what the Buddha called Dhamma.
It is something we must seek for ourselves. If we drink it without making it impure, it will surely heal the heart.
The water is not mine.
Nor did I create it.
I am, in a sense, someone who digs new channels.
Across time, across languages, across cultures and ways of life, there are still people today who continue to live with thirsty hearts.
Wishing that the same clear water may reach them, I dig new channels, guide the water, and carefully protect the river so that its clarity is never lost.
To me, a book is like the flow of a small, clear river.
My role is simply to preserve the purity of that flow.
I do not raise my voice telling people they should drink from it.
Nor do I desire that as many people as possible should know where the river is.
My concern is something different.
I simply want the river to remain pure—to remain free from misunderstanding, and to ensure that it is never used for purposes that betray what it truly is.
To devote myself, without compromise, to preserving the river as a river—that is my work.
It flows quietly, away from the center of attention.
Many people may not be looking for such a river.
That is perfectly all right.
And yet, somewhere, someone may be exhausted.
Someone may be searching for healing.
Someone may be carrying a burden so heavy that they are beginning to lose the strength to continue walking.
If such a person should happen to discover this river, perhaps they will pause for a moment, gather a handful of water in their hands, quench their thirst, and rediscover something of their true self.
That small hope is enough for me.
My work is to protect the flow of this clear river.
In other words, it is simply to express the Buddha's wisdom in words that are meaningful and useful to people living today, and to shape it into works that truly benefit others.
That is where my work ends.
That is my responsibility as an author.
What I hope for is that the true meaning of my books will be understood, and that the water of this river will reach those who genuinely need it.
For that, I will gladly make every effort.
But I do not make efforts to attract attention.
The moment I step into that territory, my work begins to change into something else—a desire to be seen, to be admired, to be praised.
As I mentioned earlier, the path of the Buddha begins by stepping back from oneself, by refusing to place oneself at the center.
For me, attracting public attention or promoting my books belongs outside my responsibility as the keeper of this river.
Such things may well have their own value in the world.
I do not deny that.
They simply do not belong to the work that has been entrusted to me.
Whether someone drinks from the river, what they experience there, whether they find healing, whether they find nothing at all, or whether they pass by without even noticing it—
all of that belongs to each individual traveler and to the journey of their own life.
My hope goes only this far:
That there is a river where thirst may be quenched.
That it is here.
Nothing more.
My work is to create each book with all the care and strength I can give, and then to release it into the world.
After that, it belongs to you.
It belongs to your life.
A river remains a river.
It does not call out, "Here I am."
It simply continues to flow.
As long as I am able, I will continue protecting this clear river.
Perhaps I will one day dig another small channel.
And I will continue doing everything I can to ensure that the water never ceases to flow, and that it is never polluted.
My only wish is that, if you find this river, you will choose with your own hands to lift its water to your lips and allow it to ease your thirst.
With that wish alone, I will devote myself to protecting the clarity of its flow.
To all my readers—
Please cherish the river that is yours.
How you use its water is entrusted entirely to your own will and your own conscience.
May your healing and happiness continue to grow.
That is the wish of the river.
August 2026
Ryushun Kusanagi
海の向こうの読者のみなさんへ
私の作品が海外で紹介されるようになって、さまざまなコミュニティやオンラインのプラットフォームから、本の紹介、いや正確には宣伝をしませんかというお誘いをいただくことがあります。欧米では普通のことなのだそうですね。
私の作品に関心を持っていただけることは、ありがたいことです。
また、本をめぐるコミュニティやプラットフォームを築いてきた、その努力と、社会への貢献にも、心から敬意を表します。
と同時に、こうした声を聞くたびに、私は、仏教徒としての自戒の念とともに、こうした問いをみずからに投げかけます。
自分にとって、著者としての仕事とは何だろうか?
私にとって、作品を送り出すことは、人の注目を集めるため、より多くの人に知られるためのものではありません。
仏教というのは、つねに「おのれを引いて(自分を中心に置かずに)考えよ」という前提に立つ思想です。
おのれを引いた後に何が残るか――それを「澄んだ水」と比喩的に表現したいと思います。
澄んだ水とは、渇いた人たちにとっての癒しとなるものです。
この世界には、喉が渇いた人たちがたくさんその長い旅路を歩いているから、せめてそうした旅人に、澄んだ水を飲んでもらおうと願う。
その願いのもとに、きれいな水が流れる川を引いた。
その川が、私の著作だと思ってもらえたら、ありがたく思います。
川、つまり私の作品は、ことさらに売ろうとか、より多くの人に見つけてもらおうという動機は持っていません。
そうではなく、渇いた人に確実に届くように、そしてその渇きを癒せるように、
なるべく清浄な水を流し続けたい――その一心で、溝を堀り、水を引き、さらさらと流れる澄明な水を見守り続ける。
それが、私の役割だと理解しています。
水を発見したのは、ブッダです。
水はそこにある。実は目の前にある。だが手を伸ばさねば届かない。みずから口元に運ばねば、飲むことはできない。
そうした水が、ブッダがダンマと呼んだものです。みずから求め、汚すことなく口に含めば、必ず心が癒される――そうした存在のことです。
水は、私のものではなく、私が作ったものでもありません。
私はいわば、新しい水路を掘る人です。時代を越え、言葉も文化も生活も違う、それでも心渇いたまま生きている現代の人たちに、澄んだ水が届くようにと願いながら水路を掘り、水を引き、その水が汚れないようにと気を使いながら、川を守る人間です。
私にとって、本は、一本の小さな澄んだ川のようなものです。
水を引いて、澄んだ流れを維持することが、私の役割です。
誰かに水を飲んでごらんと大声を上げることはありません。
川がある場所を多くの人に知ってもらいたいと欲を張ることもありません。
ただ純粋に、汚されないように、つまり誤解されないように、間違った目的のために利用されないように、
どこまでも、川が川としてあり続けるために力を尽くす。それが、私という人間の仕事です。
ひっそりと、静かに、人目につかないところに、流れています。川を求めていない人たちも大勢います。それでいいのです。
けれどどこかで、誰かが疲れ果てているかもしれない。
誰かが癒しを探しているかもしれない。
重すぎる荷物を背負って歩けなくなりつつある人もいるかもしれない。
そんな人がもしこの川を見つけたなら、ふと足を止めて、両手で一杯の水をすくって渇きを癒し、自分らしさを取り戻せるかもしれない――。
その小さな願いだけで、私には十分です。
だから、作品は作りますが、自分のことをもっと知ってもらおうとか、さらなる利益を得ようとか、
いわば、この世界において価値があるとされるものに、私は価値を見てきませんでした。
それは今も同じです。
私の仕事は、澄んだ川の流れを守ること。
つまり、人々にとって価値ある作品を、ブッダの智慧を現代の人たちに役立つ言葉に置き換えて、伝えることのみです。
そこまでが、私の仕事。私の作家としての責任です。
求めることは、本の内容が正しく理解されること。
理解してもらうための努力はします。
しかし注目されるための努力はしません。そうした領域に踏み込んでしまうと、途端に「自分を見て、自分を褒めて」というあり方に変容してしまうからです。
しかし最初にお伝えした通り、私がよって立つブッダの道は、「まずは自分を引いて考える」ことから始まるのです。
私は、ブッダの道に立って生きている身の上なので、「自分を引く」ことは自然にできます。それがもっとも自分らしいあり方、自分の本質なのです。
私にとって、世の人々に注目されたり、本を宣伝したりということは、川を守る人間としての務めの外にあります。
そうしたことも、世の中では大切なことの一つかもしれません。
ただ単純に、私が引き受けるべき仕事・活動の中には含まれていないのです。
川の水を飲んで、何を感じるか。癒されたか、そうでもなかったか、何も感じなかったか、見えなかったか、
すべては、それぞれの人生を旅する一人一人次第です。
私の思いは、
乾きを癒せる水が流れる川がある
ここにあるよ――
というところまでです。
つまりは、本を精一杯の力で創り上げて、世に送り出すまで。
あとは、読者のみなさんの領域であり、人生です。
川は川のまま。
「ここにいるぞ」という思いはありません。
ただ、流れ続けるだけなのです。
私はこれからも、澄んだ川を守り続けることでしょう。
新しい小さな川を引くこともできるかもしれません。
そして、川の流れを絶やさぬように、汚されぬように、精一杯に自分の務めを果たします。
願うことは、あなたが川を見つけてくれること、そしてみずから口元に運んで、その渇きを癒してくれることです。
そのことだけを願って、私は本という川の流れを守り続けます。
読者のみなさんへ――どうかあなたにとっての川を大切に。
どのように川を使うかは、あなたの意志と良心に委ねられています。
願わくば、あなた1人分の癒しが、幸せが、この先も育ちますように。
川の願いです。
2026年8月
草薙龍瞬